Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Beef Curry with Mushrooms, Snow Peas, and Water Chestnuts (from Robin Miller's 'Robin Rescues Dinner')

PREP TIME: 10 to 15 minutes • COOK TIME: 15 minutes

Curried dishes have a reputation for t-a-k-i-n-g a l-o-n-g t-i-m-e. Fact is, you can enjoy the long­-simmered flavor of traditional curry dishes in thirty minutes or less. In this meal, steak is simmered with mushrooms, snow peas, and water chestnuts in a delightfully rich and deep curry gravy. I typically serve this dish over rice or couscous or with the Parsley-Spiked Egg Noodles With Butter in the side dish section. My family absolutely LOVES this!!

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup sliced cremini or button mushrooms
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1 cup fresh or frozen snow peas
1 cup drained, canned sliced water chestnuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the steak and cook for 5 minutes, until golden brown on all sides. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, until the mushrooms soften and release their juice.

2. Add the flour and curry powder and stir to coat the steak and mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute, until the curry is fragrant. Add the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 min­utes. Add the snow peas and water chestnuts and simmer for 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the snow peas are crisp-tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment