Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

CINCINNATI STYLE ~ 5 WAY TO HEAVEN CHILI

This is chili like you've never had it before. It comes from a restaurant in Cincinatti that ALWAYS has a long line out the door. The spaghetti noodles make it different, but it is hands down our family's favorite chili recipe. It is soooo good! The ingredient list looks long, but most of it is just spices. It cooks up fast.

1 lb. ground beef, extra lean
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. thick BBQ sauce
1/2 c. water
1 T. chili powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. salt
46 oz. can tomato juice, as needed for consistency (I usually add the whole thing)
16 oz. spaghetti, cooked al dente and buttered
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained
1 lb. cheddar cheese, finely shredded
oyster crackers, for garnish

Brown meat with half of chopped onion and all of garlic. Set remaining onion aside to top chili at serving time. Drain any fat from pan. Add BBQ sauce and water and bring to boil. Add spices, cocoa powder, salt, and tomato juice. Cover pan and lower heat. Simmer 30 minutes (if I'm in a hurry I only do 5-10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Will thicken as it cooks.  Let chili rest at least 30 minutes at room temperature (not something I usually do - always in a hurry). Can be refrigerated and reheated. To make a plate: Start with a layer of spaghetti and top with hot chili mixture, then a few beans, then the reserved chopped onions to taste. Pat on the cheese so heat can melt it. Serve immediately with oyster crackers sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment