Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Curried Chicken Salad In Pitas (from Katie Lee's 'The Comfort Table')

This salad has great flavor and excellent texture from the tender chicken, creamy dressing, crunchy apples, and chewy raisins. It's delicious in a pita, but also really nice served on a bed of mixed greens. It makes for perfect lunchbox leftovers, too!

For the chicken salad
4 BONE-IN, SKIN-ON CHICKEN BREAST HALVES
1 TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL
2 TEASPOONS KOSHER SALT
1 TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1/2 CUP MAYONNAISE
1/4 CUP PLAIN YOGURT
2 TABLESPOONS FRESH LEMON JUICE
2 TEASPOONS CURRY POWDER
2 TEASPOONS HONEY
1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
3/4 TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER, TO TASTE
1 GRANNY SMITH APPLE, CORED AND DICED
1/4 CUP GOLDEN RAISINS
2 TABLESPOONS SCALLIONS, THINLY SLICED

For the sandwiches
ABOUT 24 MINI PITAS
ABOUT 1/2 HEAD OF GREEN LEAF LETTUCE


FOR THE CHICKEN
Preheat oven to 400°F.

Place the chicken on a baking sheet skin side up, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until cooked all the way through, about 30 minutes. Cool to the touch. Remove and discard the skin and bones, and cut the chicken into chunks.

FOR THE SALAD
In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, curry powder, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. Add the chicken, apples, raisins, and scallions and mix well.

TO SERVE
Spoon the chicken salad into mini pitas and add a leaf of lettuce.

8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
INACTIVE PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES

No comments:

Post a Comment