Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

orange yogurt (from Ina Garten's 'The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook')

MAKES 3 CUPS

With just a little bit of planning, this yogurt takes only a few minutes to make. Some of the liquid is drained out of the plain yogurt and replaced with fresh orange juice to add more flavor. I love the chunkiness of all the additions. Use this recipe as a base and make up new flavors, such as cranberry orange or maple walnut.

1 QUART plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 CUP raisins or Craisins (optional)
1/4  cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 TEASPOONS pure vanilla extract
1/4 CUP honey
Grated zest of  1 orange
1/2 TO 1 CUP freshly squeezed orange juice
Orange, orange zest, raisins, walnuts, or almonds - sliced & blanched (optional)

Line a sieve with cheesecloth or paper towels and suspend it over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the sieve and allow it to drain, refrigerated, for 3 hours or overnight.

Place the thickened yogurt into a medium bowl and add the raisins, walnuts, vanilla, honey, and orange zest to taste. Thin with orange juice until it is a desirable consistency. Garnish with sec­tions of orange, extra orange zest, raisins, or walnuts and serve.

I prefer low-fat to nonfat yogurt for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment