Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, April 2, 2010

CARAMEL CHOCOLATE NUT ICE CREAM (from Barefoot Contessa Parties)

MAKES 2 QUARTS

This ice cream tastes like one of my favorite sweets: caramel, chocolate, and pecan concoctions called "turtles". Be careful!  It's so good you might not be able to stop eating it. If you have a one-quart ice cream maker, you will have to freeze the mix in two batches.

2 1/2 cups sugar
6 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups pecan halves (10 ounces)
6 to 7 ounces best-quality sweet chocolate, diced

Place 1/2 cup of water and the sugar in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, and cook over low heat, without stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat to 'high and boil until the sugar turns a warm mahogany or caramel color, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir, but swirl the pan occasionally so the caramel cooks evenly.

Remove the caramel from the heat and carefully pour in the cream. The caramel is very hot, and the mixture will bubble up violently, then solidify, Don't worry. Return it to low heat and cook, stirring
with a wooden spoon, until the caramel dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vanilla. Pour into a container and refrigerate until very cold.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roast the pecans on a baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp. Cool, chop, mix with the diced chocolate, and store in the freezer until ready to use.

Freeze the caramel mixture in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. (It may take several batches.) When it is frozen, add the cold chopped pecans and chocolate and mix in completely. Transfer to quart containers and store in the freezer until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. This ice cream had a strange consistency to me---It seems like it could use some milk so that it freezes harder. Even after 24 hours in the freezer, it's more like a dense whipped cream. Did you find the same thing happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a few years since I made it last. I love to try lots of new recipes so it can be awhile before I get around to repeating our favorites. I decided to try this one again to refresh my memory (like I need an excuse to make ice cream!). The recipe has to be frozen in 2 batches if you only have a one quart machine (which is what I have). I have two freezer bowls that I store in my freezer for a few days before making ice cream. My results were interesting....the first batch came out the consistency of a milk shake, but hardened up after being stored in the freezer. The second batch (done immediately after the first in a second freezer bowl) came out exactly the perfect consistency - thick and creamy.

    The only conclusion I can come to, since both bowls of ice cream were made from the same batch of ice cream, is that the first freezer bowl maybe isn't working as well as it once did (I've had it for around 10 years). Maybe that was the problem in your case also?

    Man, is this ice cream flavorful though! Even if yours didn't come out the right consistency I bet it would still make a fantastic milkshake!

    ReplyDelete