Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, April 9, 2010

CHICKEN BREASTS PICCATA (from Art Smith's KITCHEN LIFE)

In Italian, piccata is another word for scallopini, which is a word that describes a thin slice of meat. The flavor of this restaurant favorite is piquant with its lemon, wine, and capers, so it wouldn't be surprising if the name came from the Italian piccante. No matter what the semantics are, this is a great recipe that will make you feel as if you are eating out when you're at home.

1 large lemon
Four 6-ounce boneless and skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and lightly pounded to uniform thickness
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine (or white cooking wine)
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons bottled capers, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Slice off and discard one end of the lemon. Cut 4 thin slices from the lemon and set aside for garnish. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon. You should have about 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish and coat the chicken on both sides with the flour. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Heat the oil in a large skillet until it is very hot but not smoking. Add the chicken to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is browned and feels firm when pressed in the
center, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.

Wipe out the skillet with paper towels. Return to the stove and increase the heat to high. -Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the broth and capers, and return to a boil. Cook until the liquid has been reduced by one-fourth, about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the butter and whisk until it melts and slightly thickens the sauce.

Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment