Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, April 9, 2010

CHICKEN BREASTS WITH YUKON GOLD POTATOES, SPINACH, AND FONTINA GRATIN (from Art Smith's KITCHEN LIFE)

This one-dish meal needs only a big green salad to round it out, since it already sports chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, and cheese.

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
5 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1 small onion, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
One 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
1 cup marinara sauce
Four 6-ounce boneless and skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and lightly pounded to uniform thickness

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 11 x 8 1/2-inch baking dish.

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring often and separating the slices as needed, until most of the potatoes are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the onion and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are almost tender, about 7 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.

Spread half of the potatoes in the baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the fontina cheese. Scatter the spinach on top. Spread the remaining potatoes on the spinach. Pour and spread the marinara sauce over the potatoes.

Wipe out the skillet with paper towels. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook until the underside is browned, about 2 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, about 2 minutes more. Arrange the chicken on the potatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining fontina cheese. Bake until the potatoes are tender and the chicken feels firm when pressed in the center, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment