About Me

My Photo
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 10 through 17). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation would be to Italy - staying at one of those bed and breakfasts where you can hone your skills as a chef and you get to tour the country. My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, dancing, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

CHICKEN DIVAN (from Katie Lee Joel's THE COMFORT TABLE)

Since my mom worked full-time while I was growing up, we ate most of our meals at my grandparents' home. Mom had a couple of specialties that she would make when she had time, and chicken divan was my favorite. The recipe is pretty healthy, especially if you use low-fat sour cream. It's a great weeknight meal because it's quick to assemble, and it also makes for terrific leftovers. To cut down on cooking time even more, buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.

1 large bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 shallot, minced
3 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry (I use red cooking wine)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 cup dry bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 3250 F.

In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the broccoli until it is just tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Cool in ice water. Drain well and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and stir in the flour. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the broth and shallots and increase the heat to bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Add the Sherry, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.

Arrange the broccoli in a 2-quart flameproof baking dish and pour half of the sauce over it. Arrange the chicken on top and pour the remaining sauce over it. Top with bread crumbs and the remaining cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes. Put the dish under the broiler until the bread crumbs are golden brown, about 1 minute.

YIELD: 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES

No comments:

Post a Comment