Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

CREAMY MASHED POTATOES (from Katie Lee Joel's THE COMFORT TABLE)

The first Thanksgiving I lived in New York, I decided to throw a dinner party for sixteen people. I was still living among boxes, and I bit off more than I could chew, so to speak. I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off when my friend Kevin jumped in and offered to make the mashed potatoes. I actually liked his method better than my own, and now I always make Kevin's mashed potatoes.

2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon kosher salt
One 8-ounce package of cream cheese, cut into chunks
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the potatoes in a medium pot. Cover with cold water and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender,
about 20 minutes. Drain.

Return the potatoes to the pot and add the cream cheese, milk, butter, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Using a handheld electric mixer, whip the potatoes until smooth and creamy with no lumps. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

YIELD: 6 CUPS (4 TO 6 SERVINGS)
PREP TIME- 20 M NUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES

No comments:

Post a Comment