Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

MACARONI AND FOUR CHEESES (from Katie Lee Joel's THE COMFORT TABLE)

When I was in college, I practically lived on macaroni and cheese. I hate to admit how much neon-orange powdered stuff I ate, but it was cheap and easy. Now my tastes have evolved, and I make this macaroni and four cheeses. You can use almost any combination of hard cheese that you like. I love the added kick that the crumbled blue cheese adds to the Cheddar, fontina, and Parmesan. This makes a great side dish, but also an excellent vegetarian main course when served with a couple of vegetable sides.

1 pound macaroni (can use regular elbow macaroni or penne, farfalle, etc.)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 3750 F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to package instructions. Drain well.

In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While still whisking, add the milk and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar, fontina, blue cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir in macaroni. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.

Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top. In a medium bowl melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and mix with the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the tomatoes. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Serve immediately.

YIELD: 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES

No comments:

Post a Comment