Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mikey from Philly Cheese Steaks (from RACHAEL RAY EXPRESS LANE MEALS)

This is my make-at-home version of one of my favorite brunch items at Union Square Cafe in New York City. Chef Michael Romano makes a mean Italian-style hoagie with sliced steak, tomato sauce, and capers-yum-o!

4 SERVINGS

1 1/2 pounds thick-cut sirloin
4 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), plus some for drizzling
Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
5 garlic cloves, 3 chopped, 2 cracked from the skin
1 large loaf ciabatta bread or other chewy Italian loaf, split
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, a couple of generous handfuls
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1 cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
A fistful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
8-ounce chunk sharp provolone cheese

Slice the meat very thin with a sharp knife, working against the grain.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the EVOO, twice around the pan, in a large nonstick pan over high heat. When the oil ripples, add the meat slices and sear them for just a minute or two to caramelize evenly all over-keep the meat moving with tongs. Season the meat slices with salt and pepper, remove to a platter, and tent loosely with foil. Go 2 more times around the pan with the EVOO and reduce the heat a bit, to medium high. Add the peppers, onions, and chopped garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.

Preheat the broiler to high and place the rack on the second highest position. Arrange the split loaf of bread on a broiler pan and toast until evenly golden. Once toasted, rub the bread with the cracked garlic cloves, drizzle with EVOO, and top with grated Pecorino Romano and a few grinds of black pepper. Slide the bread back under the broiler to melt the cheese, 45 seconds. Remove the bread and reserve, keeping the broiler on.

Add the wine to the softened vegetables and cook down for 1 minute. Add the stock, then the tomatoes, capers, and parsley and bring to a bubble. Slide the meat and any juices back into the pan to heat through for
2 to 3 minutes.

Shred the cheese with a box grater or slice thin. Pile the meat and vegetables evenly over the entire loaf of bread and cover with the provolone. Place the gi-gundo-size sandwiches under the broiler to melt the cheese
until bubbly. Cut each open-faced sammy into 4 sections, transfer 2 to each plate with a large spatula, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment