Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Que Pasta Mexican Mac-n-Cheese (from RACHAEL RAY YUM-O - THE FAMILY COOKBOOK)

4 poblano peppers
Salt
1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta) or whole-wheat penne
1 tablespoon EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend or mix of Cheddar and queso fresco or Chihuahua cheeses
1 firm avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
2 small vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
4 scallions, green and white parts, chopped

Heat the broiler to high and blacken the poblanos on all sides, 12 to 15 minutes. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap or place in a paper sack; cool for 10 minutes, then peel, seed, and chop.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and the pasta and cook al dente.

Heat a sauce pot over medium heat; add the EVOO, onions, and garlic and cook until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and when it melts, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock and milk and bring to a simmer.

Season with salt, pepper, the cumin, and the coriander and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight pattern until the cheese melts.

Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce and the chopped poblano peppers. Toss the avocado with the lime juice. Serve the mac-n-cheese in shallow bowls and top with the tomatoes, avocados, and scallions.

SERVES 4 WITH SECONDS

No comments:

Post a Comment