Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, April 9, 2010

SAUSAGE AND POTATO SOUP (from Art Smith's KITCHEN LIFE)

This is another chunky, hearty warmer-upper. For a change of pace and for a creamier soup, I sometimes stir 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese into it. Use any kind of sausage you like. (I prefer a cooked poultry sausage such as Amy's or Aidell's.) There are various flavors of chicken or turkey sausage, from apple (especially good with the cheese option) to mushroom to sun-dried tomato, so have fun choosing your favorite.

2 tablespoons olive oil
One 13-ounce package cooked chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound Yukon Gold or red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly browned. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth, potatoes, and thyme, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and partially cover the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment