Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

SLOW-COOKER PULLED-PORK BARBECUE (from Katie Lee Joel's THE COMFORT TABLE)

Living in New York, I rarely get truly great barbecue. One weekend I had a craving, so I developed this recipe and invited a few friends over to share. The men went crazy over it, and I think my husband fell in love with me all over again. The key is cooking it long and slow. I serve it piled high on buns and topped with coleslaw (see Buttermilk Coleslaw in the Sides section).

2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
5 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
2 cups barbecue sauce (homemade or store bought)
10 to 12 soft hamburger-style buns

In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne, if using. Rub the spice mixture on all sides of the pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and up to overnight.

Place pork in a slow cooker. Set on low heat and cook for 10 hours. Transfer from the slow cooker to a roasting pan and shred with two forks, removing any large pieces of fat. Pour the broth into a heatproof
pitcher or large fat separator, and skim off the fat. Put the pork back into the slow cooker. Combine the barbecue sauce and 3 cups of the skimmed broth. Stir into the pork and cook 2 hours. Using a slotted
spoon, remove the pork from the slow cooker. Place the meat on a serving platter or on individual buns. Serve the remaining sauce alongside.

YIELD: 10 TO 12 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
INACTIVE PREP TIME: 2 HOURS
COOK TIME: 12 HOURS

2 comments:

  1. The food is absolutely amazing. I hope I could taste and cook that in actual, maybe if I have much time since I am so busy working. Anyways, thanks for sharing your article. God Bless and have a good day. Visit my site too.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start your day positively and the rest will follow. Please do visit my site.Thank you and have a good day.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete