Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, April 9, 2010

SMOKED TURKEY AND WHITE BEAN SOUP (from Art Smith's KITCHEN LIFE)

Smoked turkey parts have all the flavor of smoked ham but fewer calories and less fat. Turkey wings, among the many available cuts, are the meatiest and easiest to use, and believe it or not, they are easy to find in the supermarket. Simmered with vegetables, they make a smoky base for a smooth, satisfying bean soup, and as they cook, their meat loosens on the bone so that it's easy to remove.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, cut into l/2-inch dice
1 medium celery rib with leaves, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 garlic clove, crushed under a knife and peeled
1 3/4 pounds smoked turkey wings, broken or cut apart at the joints
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 bay leaf
Three 15- to 19-ounce cans white beans (cannellini), drained and rinsed
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the oilin a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the smoked turkey wings, rosemary, and bay leaf to the pot. Pour in enough cold water to barely cover the wings, about 2 quarts. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat. Return the heat to medium-low and simmer until the turkey meat is tender and can be removed easily from the bones, about 1 hour.

Transfer the turkey wings to a cutting board. Remove the meat, discarding the skin and bones. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.

Add the beansto the pot and return the liquid to a boil over medium-high heat. Return the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.Transfer the soup in batches to a blender and process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a large bowl. (If you have an immersible hand blender, you
can puree the soup right in the pot.) Return the pureed soup to the pot and add the reserved turkey. Reheat over medium heat, stirring often, until it is simmering. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment