Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Marinated Grilled Flank Steak, BLT SMASHED POTATOES, and Lemon-Butter Broccolini (from Rachael Ray's COOKING 'ROUND THE CLOCK)

This one is so YUMMY!  Our family loves this.
 
SERVES 4

Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with BLT-Smashed Potatoes:

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend, such as Montreal Seasoning by McCormick 

2 teaspoon smoked paprika, ground chipotles, chili powder, or ground cumin 
4 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco (eyeball it)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar (4 splashes)
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (evoo), plus a drizzle
3 pounds flank steak
3 pounds small new red-skinned potatoes
2 leeks, trimmed of tough tops 

8 slices thick-cut smoky bacon, such as applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
2 small cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, well-drained  (I like using fresh, seeded Roma tomatoes instead)
1 cup sour cream, half-and-half, or chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Mix garlic, grill seasoning, paprika, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and 2/3 cup evoo in a shallow dish. Place meat in dish and coat evenly in marinade. Let stand 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut larger potatoes in half; leave very small potatoes whole. Place potatoes in a small pot and cover with water. Cover pot. Bring water to a boil, remove lid, then cook potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.

Heat a grill pan or cast-iron pan over high heat.

Cut leeks in half lengthwise. Chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Place leeks in a bowl of water and swish, separating the layers, to release the dirt. Drain leeks in a colander or strainer.

Grill flank steak on hot pan; 4 minutes on each side for medium rare to medium, and 6 or 7 minutes on each side for medium well.

Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of evoo and the bacon. Cook bacon until it begins to crisp and has rendered most of its fat, to 5 minutes. Add leeks and cook until they're tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat them through, 1 minute.

Drain potatoes and return them to the hot pot. Smash potatoes with sour cream, half-and-half, or chicken broth and the BLT: bacon, leeks, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove flank steak from grill and let it sit a few minutes before slicing. Thinly slice meat on an angle, cutting against the grain. Serve sliced flank steak next to BLT potatoes.

Lemon-Butter Broccolini

 

2 pounds broccolini (regular broccoli also works well)
2 cups water
1 lemon
4 tablespoons butter
Salt, to taste
 

Trim ends from broccolini so stalks are 4 to 5 inches long. Trim a few pieces of peel off the lemon. Place broccolini in a bowl and add 1 cup water and the lemon peel. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave on high 6 minutes. Test the broccollnl: It should be just tender but still bright green. Cook 2 minutes more if stems are still tough. Drain off water. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half over the broccolini and add butter and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment