Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

TV DINNER: salisbury steak with wild mushroom gravy, smashed potatoes with garlic & herb cheese and chives, creamed spinach (from RACHAEL RAY 30-MINUTE MEALS Get Togethers)

I like to serve this with "Quick Ginger Peach Cobbler" in the DESSERTS section of this blog.

SERVES 4

Potatoes:
2 pounds russet potatoes (4 large potatoes), peeled and chunked
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half-and-half or cream (eyeball it)
6 ounces (2/3 cup or one small container), garlic and herb cheese, such as Boursin
1/4 cup chopped chives (12 blades), or 2 scallions, thinly sliced

Meat and Gravy:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Seasoning by McCormick, or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil (evoo), 6 tablespoons (6 times around the pan)
2 tablespoons butter
12 crimini or baby porto bello mushrooms, sliced
12 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoon flour
1 cup beef stock

Spinach:
2 boxes (10 ounces each) chopped spinach, defrosted in microwave
2 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Start the potatoes: Place them in a pot with water. Cover pot, bring to a boil and lightly salt. Leave uncovered and simmer at rolling boil until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

While potatoes cook, make the steaks: Combine meat, Worcestershire, onion, and steak seasoning, or salt and pepper. Form 4 large, oval patties, 1 inch thick.

Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a 2 tablespoons of evoo and meat patties to hot pan. Cook 6 minutes on each side until meat is evenly caramelized on the outside and juices run clear. Remove meat and cover with loose aluminum foil to keep warm. Add 2 more tablespoons evoo and the butter to the pan, then the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, and saute until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.

While mushrooms cook, make the spinach: To a small skillet, add butter and cream and heat to a bubble over moderate heat. Add the defrosted and "dried" spinach and salt and pepper. Cook until spinach thickens with cream, 3 to 5 minutes.

To mushrooms, add a sprinkle of flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes more. Whisk in stock and thicken 1 minute.

While sauce thickens, drain potatoes and return them to hot pot. Smash potatoes with a little half-and-half or cream and garlic and herb cheese. Smash and incorporate chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, pour gravy over steak. Serve potatoes and creamed spinach alongside the steaks. Now that's a TV dinner, DELUXE!

No comments:

Post a Comment