Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

CHICKEN CACCIATORE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS (Robin Miller Quick-Fix Meals)

THE PORTIONS YOU ARE COOKING IN THIS MEAL ARE MEANT TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THREE OTHER MEALS (listed at end of paragraph below).  ESSENTIALLY YOU ARE MAKING ENOUGH OF THE MAIN INGREDIENT SO THAT THREE OTHER COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEALS CAN BE COOKED UP QUICKLY.  NOW THAT'S USING LEFTOVERS!

SERVES 4

Chicken cacciatore is a Miller family staple. I have created lots of different variations, but I love the combination of bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and chicken simmered in a mildly spicy, curried tomato sauce. I use wild mushrooms for their earthy flavor. The meal is hearty, rich, and lasts for days in the fridge (if you can keep it around that long!). I also love the sauce because it lends its deep, wonderful flavor to Quick Fix recipes later in the week (Seared Tilapia with Tomato-Cream Sauce, Pasta e Fagioli, and Tuna Salad in Cucumber Canoes - see Entrees).

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups sliced wild mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, chanterelle. or porcini (buttons will also work)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Two 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups quick-cooking white rice
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
 

••

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the basil, curry powder, bay leaves, salt, and red pepper and cook 1 minute, until the curry is fragrant. Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package directions. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 2 cups of the cacciatore sauce and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Divide the rice among four individual shallow bowls and spoon the chicken mixture over the top. Refrigerate the remaining cacciatore sauce up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months; thaw in the refrigerator or a microwave for 3 to 5 minutes on LOW before using.

Total Time: 36 to 38 minutes
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
ACTIVE COOKING TIME: 11-13 MINUTES
WALK-AWAYTIME: 10 MINUTES

STORAGE SAVVY:
Store the sauce in the portions you'll need: 1 cup for the tilapia, 2 cups for the pasta, and 1/2 cup for
the tuna salad. Date the container and label it as Cacciatore Sauce or with the name of the recipe you
plan on using it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment