Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

CHICKEN CURRY WITH CHICKPEAS AND TOMATOES (Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals)


THIS RECIPE IS MEANT TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THREE OTHER MEALS (please see ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SMOKEY APRICOT SAUCE in the "Entrees" section). 

SERVES 6

A real curry dish would ideally cook all day long. Since I rarely (if ever) have that luxury, I found a Quick Fix solution that delivers the same flavors. The leftover chicken is jazzed up with chickpeas and a creamy curry-cilantro sauce. I like to serve this over rice or couscous with steamed asparagus or zucchini on the side. Curry in a hurry, now that's a weekday solution!
••

3 cups quick-cooking white or brown rice 
3 leftover roasted chicken breast halves (see ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SMOKEY APRICOT SAUCE) 
Two 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 
Two 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained 
2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder 
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin 
3/4 cup low-fat sour cream 
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 


Cook the rice according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, using a fork, pull the chicken meat from the bone into shreds and place in a medium saucepan. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, curry powder, and cumin and mix well. Set over medium heat, bring to a simmer, and simmer until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and simmer 1 minute to heat through.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over the rice.

Total Time: 15 minutes
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
ACTIVE COOKING TIME: 5 MINUTES

GOOD HEALTH note:
Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are a rich source of heart-protective folate, iron, and vitamin 8-6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment