Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, June 25, 2010

PORK FRIED RICE (from Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals)

THIS RECIPE IS MEANT TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THREE OTHER MEALS (please see BALSAMIC ROASTED PORK TENDERLOIN in the "Entrees" section).

SERVES 6

Total Time: 20 to 24 minutes
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
ACTIVE COOKING TlME: 10-14 MINUTES
WALK-AWAY TIME: 5 MINUTES

Just because the word "fried" is in a dish, it doesn't mean you actually have to fry anything. I don't like grease in my arteries or on my stove-top. In my lightened-up version of fried rice, I saute vegetables in a little peanut oil and then add incredibly flavorful hoisin sauce, rice, and leftover pork. Since the rice is uncooked, it absorbs all the flavors of the veggies, sauce, and pork while it cooks to tender perfection. If you want to cut calories even further, instead of whole eggs use 4 egg whites or 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute.
••
2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking white rice
1/3 cups hoisin sauce
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 1/4 cups diced leftover pork (see BALSAMIC ROASTED PORK TENDERLOIN)


3/4 cup frozen green peas





Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add  the eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through and scrambled, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the eggs to a plate and keep warm.   

To the same skillet, still over medium heat, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to coat with the oil. Add the hoisin and stir to coat the rice. Add the broth, pork, and peas and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand until the liquid is absorbed and the rice tender, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer the fried rice to individual plates. Chop the cooked egg into small pieces and sprinkle over the rice just before serving.

GOOD HEALTH note:
To eliminate about 40 calories and 10 fat grams from the dish, substitute 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute for the 2 large eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I have been looking for this recipe EVERYWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete