Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

QUICK BRUSCHETTA WITH TOMATOES AND OLIVES (from Robin Miller Quick-Fix Meals)

SERVES 4

Bruschetta is an Italian treat that features toasted bread slices rubbed with olive oil and garlic, then topped with tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. In my version, I jazz things up by adding salty Greek olives and parsley.
••
1 baguette, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
3 to 4 cloves garlic, to taste, minced
1 1/2 cups finely diced ripe tomatoes
1/3 cup diced pitted Greek olives (such as kalamata)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Top each slice with minced garlic, then bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes (no need to turn them).

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, parsley, and oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture onto the bread slices and serve.

GOOD HEALTH note:
Frozen and canned vegetables are picked and either flash-frozen or canned at their nutritional peak, meaning all the nutrients are locked in (sometimes that's not the case with fresh produce that's been sitting around too long in the produce department). That said, don't hesitate to use these convenient and inexpensive products to shave time off your prep. Just be careful about the amount of sodium in the canned varieties and opt for reduced-sodium brands or those with no salt added if they're available.

Total Time: 10 minutes
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
ACTIVE COOKING TIME: 5 MINUTES

QUICK FIX IT YOUR WAY:
To put this together even faster substitute melba toast squares for the baguette and skip the toasting step.

No comments:

Post a Comment