Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, June 25, 2010

ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SMOKEY APRICOT SAUCE (from Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals)

THE PORTIONS YOU ARE COOKING IN THIS MEAL ARE MEANT TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THREE OTHER MEALS (listed the paragraph below).  ESSENTIALLY YOU ARE MAKING ENOUGH OF THE MAIN INGREDIENT SO THAT THREE OTHER COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEALS CAN BE COOKED UP QUICKLY.  NOW THAT'S USING LEFTOVERS!

Total Time: 45 minutes
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
WALK-AWAY TIME: 35 MINUTES

SERVES 6

The simple sauce for this chicken has such an incredible aroma and flavor, it's hard to believe it's made with three simple ingredients that you may already have in your fridge. If you have orange marmalade instead of apricot preserves, that works, too. In fact, any fruit preserve will work. Liquid smoke seasoning is sold near
the Worcestershire sauce at the grocery store. Enjoy this meal tonight and later in the week (or month!) by making Chicken and Mushroom Quesadillas, Thai Chicken Salad with Peanuts and Lime, and Chicken Curry with Chickpeas and Tomatoes. Serve this dish with Red Potatoes with Capers, Tomatoes, and Onion (see "Sides") - make the side dish while the chicken cooks.
••
Cooking spray
15 skinless bone-in chicken breast halves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 1/4 cups apricot preserves
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke seasoning 

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and arrange in the prepared pan.

In a small bowl, combine the preserves, soy sauce, and liquid smoke until well blended, then pour over the chicken. Roast until the breasts are cooked through, about 35 minutes.

Serve six chicken breast halves with this meal and refrigerate the remainder up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

INGREDIENT note:
Bone-in chicken is often less expensive than boneless chicken. Thing is, the money saved at the market could be time lost in the kitchen when it comes to prepping. I like to save the bone-in chicken pieces for recipes like
this-those that cook the chicken with the bone. It's much easier to pull meat from a cooked chicken breast than a raw one!


QUICK FIX IT YOUR WAY:
If you prefer, you can cut this recipe in half (cook 7 chicken breast halves instead of 10) and make tonight's recipe plus 2 of the 3 morph recipes with the leftovers.

STORAGE SAVVY:
To store the leftover chicken, you can set the breasts on a baking sheet and place it in the freezer until they're frozen solid, then pop them all in one big bag and pull them out as you need them. Or place two breast halves each in smaller zip-top plastic bags so you can just grab a bag and go. Remember to date and label your bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment