Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, June 25, 2010

SOY-SESAME GREEN BEANS WITH GINGER (from Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals)

SERVES 4

Yes, I know. You can steam green beans in the microwave and be finished with your side dish in 60 seconds. But how exciting is that? Reserve that solution for when you're really behind schedule. In this simple dish, the green gems are livened up with sesame, garlic, soy, and ginger for an Asian-inspired winner. You can give
most any vegetables this treatment with delicious results.
••
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 cups fresh or one 10-ounce package frozen green beans (no need to thaw)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the green beans and sesame seeds and cook until the seeds are golden brown, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth and soy sauce and cook until the green beans are crisp-tender, about another 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Total Time: 10 minutes
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
ACTIVE COOKING TIME: 5 MINUTES

GOOD HEALTH note:
Green beans are low in calories (just 44 calories per cup) and an excellent source of fiber and vitamins A, C, and K (important for maintaining strong bones).

No comments:

Post a Comment