Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, June 25, 2010

WONTON SOUP (from Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals)

THIS RECIPE IS MEANT TO BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THREE OTHER MEALS (please see BALSAMIC ROASTED PORK TENDERLOIN in the "Entrees" section).

SERVES 6

Total Time: 20 minutes
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
ACTIVE COOKING TIME: 15 MINUTES

If you think a soup like this is beyond your capability on a weeknight, think again. First off, you can always stuff the wontons up to 3 days in advance and refrigerate them (a must if you want the soup ready in less than 15 minutes during the week). You can also stuff the wontons and freeze them up to 3 months (no need to thaw them before using). Second, you can certainly skip the "filling" of the wontons and just simmer everything together in the pot (this makes phenomenal soup-how can you lose with shredded vegetables, pork, broth, pasta-like wontons, and a spike of scallions at the end?). But stuffing the wrappers and watching those adorable little dumplings tenderize in simmering broth is worth every minute. Trust me.
••
9 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 cups shredded coleslaw mix
1 1/2 cups shredded leftover pork (see BALSAMIC ROASTED PORK TENDERLOIN)
1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
36 wonton wrappers (often sold in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle)
1/3 cups chopped scallions (white and green parts)
 
 Place the broth in a large saucepan, set over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the slaw mix and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pork and soy sauce and cook, stirring, until the cabbage wilts, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Arrange the wonton wrappers on a flat surface. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the filling onto the center of each wrapper. Wet your fingers with water and rup a wet finger along the outer edge of the wrapper. Pull up the edges of the wrapper and pinch together, making a beggar's purse-shaped wonton. When you run out of filling, place the stuffed wontons in the Simmering broth and simmer until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the scallions, and serve.

DOLLAR SAVER tip:
Don't throw those leftover wonton wrappers out. If you tightly wrap them with plastic wrap, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Or, slip them into a freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months (thaw them completely in the refrigerator or microwave for a few minutes on LOW before using). Use any leftover wrappers to make Wonton Chips. Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet that's been coated with cooking spray, then give them a coating of spray and season evenly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven until golden brown and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve with soft or melted cheeses and dips.

No comments:

Post a Comment