Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Black and White Creme Brulee (from The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook)

prep: 10 min. cook: 1 hr., 10 min.
other: 8 hrs., 5 min.

Creme brulee sounds fancy, but it's really a simple custard with a crunchy sugar top. In this version, chocolate adds an extra layer of flavor. If you're entertaining friends, get a kitchen torch and let them brulee their own dessert.

2 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons light brown sugar

Heat 1/2 cup whipping cream and chocolate morsels in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts. Cool slightly. Pour mixture evenly into 6 (6-ounce) ramekins. Set aside.

Whisk together remaining 2 cups whipping cream, egg yolks, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and vanilla until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Pour evenly into prepared baking dishes; place dishes in a 13- x 9-inch
pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1/2 inch.


Bake at 275° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until almost set. Cool custards in water in pan on a wire rack. Remove custards from pan; cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over each custard; place custards in pan.

Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat until sugar melts. Let stand 5 minutes to allow sugar to harden.

Yield: 6 servings.

Per serving: Calories 617 (66% from fat); Fat 45.4g (sat 26.3g. mono 14.4g. poly l.7g); Protein 3.4g; Carb 50.6g; Fiber 1.7g; Chol 304mg; Iron 1.4mg; Sodium 47mg; Calc104mg

No comments:

Post a Comment