Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Friday, July 2, 2010

CHERRY PARFAITS WITH CANDIED NUTS (from Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals)

SERVES 6

I use cherry pie filling for this dessert because, quite frankly, I never use the stuff to make a pie! But it's so wonderful and convenient that I felt compelled to find a use for it! Parfaits aren't just easy, they're fun to look at. If you're looking for an arts-and-craft project for your kids, look no further: they love layering the colors into tall glasses. You can also substitute blueberry or apple pie filling, canned pumpkin, or regular pudding .
••
1 1/2 cups canned cherry pie filling (look for it in the baking section of the supermarket)
1 1/2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt or light ice cream, softened slightly
1 1/2 cups nondairy whipped topping or whipped cream
3/4 cup candied nuts (pecans, walnuts, peanuts) 
 
Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pie filling into each of four tall glasses. Top each with 2 tablespoons frozen yogurt. Repeat with the remaining pie filling, then the remaining yogurt. Spoon whipped topping evenly among the glasses, then sprinkle with the nuts.

GOOD HEALTH note:
Frozen yogurt and light ice cream dish up about 120 to 140 calories and 4 grams of fat per 1/2 cup serving. The same amount of regular ice cream has 184 calories and 12 grams of fat.

Total Time: 10 minutes
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES

QUICK FIX IT YOUR WAY:
You can assemble this dessert (everything but the nuts on top) up to 3 days in advance and store upright in the freezer (cover the tops of the glasses with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil). Pull the glasses from the freezer a few minutes before serving, then top with the nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment