Food Network Fool

About Me

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The most important thing in my life is my family. I love my dear husband and 4 wonderful children (ages 11 through 18). I am a stay-at-home mom (my dream job!). Some of my favorite things to do include cooking (and eating!), photography, reading, piano, flute, watching my favorite TV shows, swimming, traveling, and most recently...using the rip stick with my kids. I would love to attend culinary school someday & fit my love of photography in with that somehow. My dream vacation is Italy - something I was recently blessed to experience! I'd love to return and see more of that beautiful and DELICIOUS country! My days are usually full of running kids to and from activities - scouts, sports, music and church. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe, but I absolutely LOVE my crazy life and the people I am lucky enough to share it with!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Grant's Clam Chowder

My dad has perfected his clam chowder recipe over the years.  I have never tasted any that could top his.  Give it a try - it is the best!  He uses it for their traditional Christmas Eve dinner, along with yummy rolls for dipping!
 
Ingredients
2 Quarts (6 – 8 Servings)
6 Quarts (20  -24 Servings)
diced bacon
3 ounces (about 4 slices)
12 oz package
diced onion
1 medium
2 large
diced celery
3 stalks
9 stalks
diced new potatoes (blanched)
¼ lb
¾ lb
flour
1/3 cup
1 cup
butter
3 ounces (3/4 stick)
2 sticks
heavy cream
1 quart
3 quarts
half & half
½ cup
12 ounces
chopped clams (fresh, frozen or canned)
1 ½ cups
4 ½ cups
clam juice or nectar
10 ounces
1 quart (32 ounces)
fresh garlic
2 cloves
6 cloves
white pepper
Pinch
¼ teaspoon
Black pepper
Pinch
¼ teaspoon
Cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon
¾ teaspoon
Fresh Marjoram
1 teaspoon
3 teaspoons
Chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons
6 teaspoons
Italian seasoning
1 teaspoons
3 teaspoons
Dill
¼ teaspoon
¾ teaspoon
Fresh Thyme
½ teaspoon
1 ½ teaspoon
Bay leaves
2
6
Chopped fresh parsley
1/8 cup
½ cup
  • Cook bacon until transparent. Easiest to cut into small pieces with scissors before cooking and cook in pot that you will use for the rest of the ingredients
  • Add butter, onions, celery and all the seasonings except dill and parsley.
  • Cook until tender.
  • Add flour and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes over low heat.
  • Add all dairy products, and clam nectar.
  • Heat just under boiling point.
  • Steam potatoes and cool.  You can also cut them into small pieces and microwave for about 2 minutes.
  • Add chopped clams and potatoes.
  • Bring to a boil slowly and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
  • Add dill and parsley.
Notes: 
  • 1 can (51 oz.) of Seawatch Chopped Sea Clams from Costco = about 4 cups of clam juice and 3 cups of chopped clams.
  • 3 small cans of clams yields 1 ½ cups clam juice and 1 cup of clams.
  • An 8 oz serving = about 355 calories

1 comment:

  1. This is the best clam chowder EVER...I'm not just being prejudice:-) :-)

    ReplyDelete